Monday 16 March 2015

World Press Photo 2015: Interview with Åsa Sjöström, winner of the 2nd prize “Daily Life singles” with a picture from Moldova



Interview published by The Independent Journalism Center on 13, March 2015 -In romanian



The 2015 Contest drew entries from around the world: 97,912 images were submitted by 5,692 press photographers, photojournalists, and documentary photographers from 131 countries.
The World Press Photo of the year 2014 has been awarded to Danish photographer Mads Nissen, for a picture of a gay couple in St.Petersburg. “Jon and Alex” are in an intimate moment.  The picture draws attention to the legal and social discrimination and harassment faced by gay people in Russia.




                                                                 Jon and Alex, by Mads Nissen



The war in Siria, the Ebola virus, the situation of the illegal immigrants among other topics have won also Prizes in different categories. An overall of 312 pictures have been selected as the best pictures in the press during 2014.
Also there is one picture from Moldova named “Orphan Brothers” and taken by a Swedish photojournalist called Åsa Sjöström. The picture was taken on 24, March 2014 and has won the Daily Life , 2nd prize singles. 




                                                             Orphan Brothers by Åsa Sjöström

We decided to speak with Åsa to know what was her motivation to come to Moldova and take pictures of the Moldavians and how was the process while working here and also to have a global perspective of the photography world.
Åsa Sjöström is a Swedish photographer based in Malmö, Sweden. Her work focuses on social and cultural issues especially relating the intimate world concerning women and children.

She has been given several grants and awards for her photo journalistic work such as World Press Photo 2015, 2006, Poyi 2015 and Swedish Picture of the Year Award. Her work have been honored two times by Unicef Picture of the Year Award and honored by Swedish Red Cross Journalism Award among others. Too see more about her projects visit her website: www.asasjostrom.com 




Why did you choose Moldova? Which was your motivation and expectations?
Actually the first time I went to Moldova in 2005, about ten years ago, I worked at the biggest Swedish newspaper for one year, but after the  year is usually they have to employ you as photographer staff and this is really complicated to happen. But this is a regular way to start. I wanted to do something, so I started to work in my own and I was looking into going to the Middle East, but a friend suggested me to go to Eastern Europe.
I thought about different options, I started to look for useful information asking to my friends. In this way I discovered Moldova and I asked my friends whom didn’t know anything about this country. Many people think about Moldova as a country whit negative background, people trafficking... and to be honest at the beginning I did that too.
The first thing I wanted to cover in Moldova was a story about trafficking of women. I spent my first month in Chisinau, but I spent two weeks in a shelter for children. I realized that to work was really complicated. So I started to take pictures of the ballet school, the building was beautiful and I spent some hours there taking pictures of the dancers.



What characteristic of the county caught your attention? Why do you say you felt in love with Moldova?
The people that I have met are very friendly and helpful. I think it has been quite easy to work as photographer and the people were quite happy to speak with me and tell me the story. The countryside is beautiful, but maybe the main reason why I like it is because there is an unknown country, a really forgotten corner of Europe. There are lot of interesting family stories there.
Even thought there is not lot of information, do you agree in the way Moldova is showed in the international media? Because maybe sometimes there are lot of stereotypes
I think is like that everywhere. If you don’t spend time there you just scratch in the surface. It takes a time to show the difficulties the country is having. I always try to stay as much as I can. I think that is really important to be open to the changes, for example, before to travel you can have an idea but when you get a place you can discover interesting things and way to show it. 



Did you find any difficult taking pictures here?
At the beginning was complicated; lot of bureaucracy work. But somehow since my first trip I felt in love with Moldova and I wanted to come back, so I did it. My interpreter helped me a lot and in this trip I was showing an album with the ballet pictures to the people in order to get a better answer from them. In 2005 and 2006 I traveled to Transnistria too and it was a quite complicated back then. I saw a chance to go back to Moldova when the Ukranian wars increasing because even the newspaper here were interested in the Moldovan situation. I traveled in this time to Gagauzia where we covered some stories. So, I can say that we have been traveling around.


                            

In nowadays media landscape we are overwhelmed by images (video, pictures of events, conflicts, war...). How do you choose what is worthy to be short or not?
I find interesting to show the people that you do not really see in the media. At the time to take the picture I try to show small moments, not being really sad I just try to portrait the reality. I try to show more than people usually expect. For example, in Dadaab, the biggest refugee camp in the world close to Somalia, before I go there I just saw picture of  starving, and this is necessary,  but when I got there I was overwhelm by the Dadaab as a community, they had cinema, outdoor activities, families doing their activities. I found this really interesting and in my opinion it is also necessary to show this reality. 


Speaking about the social value of the image... Do you consider that the picture necessarily has to work as a driving force for a change?
You always wait to achieve something with your stories; it is a dream for the journalist to change the reality. I am focus in women and children and I try to show them from a beautiful perspective, if you see a picture that make you look away this is not working as well. In contrast if you a see a picture that is appealing to you in some way is possible to see something else, you can stay out longer and even you can be upset because you like this picture very much.




Moldova Ballet school 2005. A serie of eight pictures was awarded 1st prize in World Press Photo 2006 in the category Arts and Entertainment. Photo by Åsa Sjöström



So, do you try to show also an artistic way when you shoot?
I like to work when the light is good and I am not interfering in the people I try to be quiet when I work. That is what I am aiming for. I try to look for a certain moment when I feel something.


In your opinion, what are the different between photojournalism and artistic photography?
I see myself as a photojournalist because I am trying to tell stories. Some journalist are doing short of art with the photography. Some like my picture and other consider that I am showing a kind of negative side. I think many photographers hear that.
When I am not taking pictures I am socializing, knowing the people, and then when something happens I take my camera and I take pictures. I choose my time to shoot.
If a journalist is accused of being an artist I don’t consider this is fair because everyone choose their own language to tell the story. The good journalist or photographers have their own language and I can see when a certain photographer has taken a picture and I like that.
But it is different if you have the previous disposition to take artistic pictures, maybe with commercial purposes. I do not do that.

Do you work in a collective of photographers?
We are freelance, but we like to inspire each other and hang out. I am going to start working on my own. I mostly choose my own topics.

What is your point of view in the use of new technologies or mobile application to take pictures? Do you consider that everyone can be a photographer?
As a professional photographer you cannot scare of that, we have to be better. I think is a lot of different, a professional photographer spent lot of time to shoot a picture wanting to say something. Everyone can snatch a picture on Instagram but, what does it say?
We have this discussion one in a while. You can really see the differences between a professional photographer and someone who is not. A professional is more into the people they photograph, there is a meaning. I am snatch a lot with my mobile but for me it doesn’t mean so much.
On the other hand sometimes to take pictures with mobile phone is useful, for example in Syria or places where the journalist hardly can go, some private person can show what is going go, but you have to be deep into the picture to show the reality. At least for me, sometimes it is a problem to know what is true or not. You cannot just believe in everything you see.
For example, around 20% of photojournalists are disqualified for the World Press Photo because they have manipulated the pictures. I think this is really sad. We have to learn to be professional in order to the people do not lost the credibility. I think you have to take care of your credibility as photographer and also you have to look into when you see other pictures.

Speaking about the World Press Photo, do you consider that these kinds of events are important for the photographers?
For me, every year I sent some pictures if I had some good pictures to the Swedish Picture of the year award, because is free. As a photographer I am really critical with myself. We are a couple of photographers in Malmo where I live, we short of go thought the each other work and this is sometimes that make you develop in some way.
This is kind of event put an eye on your work everywhere in the world, sometimes I think about it ethically but is so much behind all this work that are awarded. I think for the photojournalism and the history this exhibitions and books are a way of keeping the photography and photojournalism on a high level. And also make it interesting for other people, and the story you have made can live a little bit longer.



Do you have some advice for a student of photography?
It is always good photograph a lot, and never be afraid to asking people. When you go into sensitive subjects, you have to think why you are there, what you want to tell. You have a responsibility as photographer and you have to take care of the stories that people share with you. 




Picture of Hugh Jr in the small village of Baroncea Balti region. The picture was awarded first prize in Swedish Picture of the Year Award, portrait and 3rd prize in Poyi portrait 2015. By Åsa Sjöström

For further information: HERE

By: Rubén Pulido /Francesco Brusa

No comments:

Post a Comment